DR. HARUHISA HANDA,
LEADER OF THE WORLD MATE
AT THE DISTRIBUTION OF FUND OF
COMPENSATION AND MEMORIAL FUND
KAMPONG SPEU PROVINCE, CAMBODIA,
24 APRIL 2006
--H.E. Say Chhum, Member of Parliament from Kampong Speu Province,
--Dr. Kao Kim Hourn, President of the University of Cambodia,
--H.E. Kang Hean, First Deputy Governor of Kampong Speu Province,
--Dear Recipients of Dr Handa Compensation and Memorial Fund for the Victims of the Khmer Rouge Genocide,
--Ladies and Gentlemen,
1. I am pleased and honor to be here at this ceremony function at this temple which is organized to distribute the fund to the recipients of “Dr. Handa Compensation and Memorial Fund for the Victims of the Khmer Rouge Genocide” that has been funded by the World Mate and myself.
2. Today, I am so happy to see the realization of this important project, which I wanted very much to assist the Cambodian people who were the real victims of the Khmer Rouge genocide.
3. At the outset, let me take this opportunity to thank H.E. Say Chhum, Member of Parliament from Kampong Speu Province, and H.E. Kang Hean, First Deputy Governor of Kampong Speu Province, as well as the officials from both the local and provincial government for assisting us in organizing this important function so that we can distribute the fund, including monetary support and rice to the needy people, who have been carefully research by a research team and selected and approved by the Review Committee.
4. As you have heard from Dr. Kao Kim Hourn the criteria for selecting the recipients of this Fund, I would like to inform you that we would do our best to ensure that the Fund will reach those who truly deserving the support from this Fund.
5. The distribution of fund and support today marks the beginning of the need for us to pay closer attention to the survivors and sufferers of the Khmer Rouge genocide, whom in my view have been agonizing over so many years even following the end of the Khmer Rouge era. It is also our hope to humbly pay our respect and tribute to the nearly two million Cambodians who died during the Khmer Rouge’s era of genocide.
6. This morning, I strongly feel that the distribution of the Fund is intended to make a positive contribution to the Cambodian society by providing this token of assistance and support to the survivors of the murderous Khmer Rouge genocide. I hope that the families who are receiving the fund today will make use of it in their own ways, either to memorialize the loss of their families or their love ones, or to relieve the burden of poverty, or in whatever ways that they wish.
7. I am indeed so overwhelmed by the presence of so many people, who have turned up for this Fund. While we wanted to support everyone, but it is impossible to provide the funds to all deserving Cambodians. Therefore, I hope you understand that we only provide the fund to those who truly deserving them.
8. Although this Fund will be distributed to 10,000 victim families of the Khmer Rouge genocide in all the provinces of Cambodia, I believe that we cannot do justice for all. Nevertheless, we hope to do what we can to make the positive contribution and lasting impact on the Cambodian society.
9. Finally, I feel that the spirit of humanity is so significantly important in the world today, as we can contribute in whatever ways we can in order to make the world a better place for all of us. Therefore, the fact that we are distributing the fund from the World Mate as well as of my own today, which is only the beginning, I am so joyous to see the implementation of “Dr. Handa Compensation and Memorial Fund for the Victims of the Khmer Rouge Genocide.”
Thank you very much.