Dr. Toshu Fukami
Chancellor of the University of Cambodia and
Chairman and Founder of the International Foundation for Arts and Culture
At the University of Cambodia on the
Launching of the Virtual Library
1 November 2004
Dr. Kao Kim Hourn, President of the University of Cambodia,
Students and Faculty of the University of Cambodia,
Students from other universities,
1. I wish to start by thanking Dr. Kao Kim Hourn for his warm welcome and generous introduction, and thanking all of you for your presence today.
2. I am pleased to preside over the launching of the University of Cambodia’s Virtual Library or Online Library, which I believe is an important step forward in ensuring that the Cambodian people, especially the students, are able to take advantage of today’s advanced information technology. This is the best approach to leapfrog the learning process which the Cambodian students and intellectuals, as well as the public at large can benefit from the cutting-edge information technology. They can also conduct research and access the vast amount of information on the internet.
3. I believe that the launching of the University of Cambodia’s Virtual Library, which is the first of its kind in Cambodia, is to complement the Toshu Fukami Library and to better serve the needs of the Cambodian people, particularly the students and other patrons.
4. By establishing the Virtual Library, I believe the University of Cambodia has take the lead in making learning and education more practical, more active, and more lively. Given the growing importance of information technology at present, the Virtual Library will become a great asset for the University.
5. As the Chancellor of the University of Cambodia, I am pleased to see that the University of Cambodia continues to make important progress. In this regard, I will continue to give my support and all the assistance that I can to ensure the success of this University.
6. I can see that with the increasing student enrollment and the demand for better services, such as the regular library and the Virtual Library have made the University of Cambodia become smaller. In only seventeen months, the University of Cambodia has come a long a way in a short period of time. I am sure that the University of Cambodia will continue to grow, expand, develop and contribute to human resource development of this country.
7. Finally, I wish to declare the opening of the University of Cambodia’s Virtual Library.
Thank you very much.